The retirement plan business is tightly regulated and requires you as a plan sponsor to comply with complex requirements to carry out your fiduciary responsibilities as a prudent expert. Federal retirement laws impose potentially serious consequences for plan shortcomings: you could be personally liable for a fiduciary breach, or your plan could be disqualified, creating a heavy tax burden.
Yet, if you own or manage a small company or non-profit group, your expertise is in running your business, not your retirement plan. We give you the tools and the confidence to manage your plan prudently, compliantly, and effectively, with minimal disruption to you or your staff.
The retirement plan business is complex and requires specialized expertise beyond that required to manage investments. As your trusted advisor, we can put together a team to address every aspect of managing your plan. Companies and non-profit groups engage us and our partners to:
- Benchmark your plan to reduce costs and optimize design and performance
- Understand or eliminate revenue sharing agreements
- Help choose and implement the most appropriate plan type
- Review trust and adoption agreements
- Help you obtain a determination letter from the IRS
- Select (or replace) and monitor service providers
- Develop a customized investment policy statement
- Act as or select an investment fiduciary
- Advise participants on investment selection, rollovers, loans, distributions and retirement planning
- Help avoid prohibited transactions and comply with Department of Labor and IRS rules
- Make a controlled group or affiliated service group determination
- Conduct non-discrimination testing and avoid corrective distributions
- Resolve plan defects through DOL and IRS corrective programs
- Submit annual reports and advise you on reporting requirements
- Much, much, more.
We work with the following types of plans:
- Profit sharing, ESOP, and stock bonus plans
- Multi-employer and pooled employer plans
- 401(k)s, including safe harbor, solo, and Roth plans
- SEP, SIMPLE, and SARSEP IRAs
- Money purchase, target benefit, and Section 401(a) plans
- Section 403(b) plans
- Section 457(b) and non-qualified deferred compensation
- Cash balance and traditional defined benefit plans
We can work with all types of successful companies, non-profit organizations, and government agencies, and we have a special interest in working with medical groups, law firms, private schools, and engineering and technical specialty firms. If you own or manage any company, agency or 501(c) group and you offer a retirement plan or are considering one, we can help.